Monday 1 February 2010

The grandeur of life

a selection of Darwin's books
A friend works at the Linda Hall Library in Kansas City. I was extremely impressed when I went to visit him, not least by the very friendly and helpful staff who let me have a look at some of their rare books. At the time they were running an exhibition on polar exploration, which gave them the opportunity to display some of the classic texts of Victorian adventure (and which leads me to wonder what the rest of the world really refers to instead of "Victorian"). Their Darwin exhibition is just coming towards the end of its run now. It makes me wish we could do something similar with some of our special collections. I'm a voice in the wilderness on that one but I'll keep banging on about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment